The most common reason for visiting your dentist is for routine examination. These appointments give us the chance to assess your mouth, teeth and gums for any issues, which is essential to maintain your oral health. Not every dental issue is noticeable, so it takes a trained dentist to spot any signs of gum disease or decay.
At Deptford Dental, we have created a welcoming environment to put you at ease during your appointment. We listen to your concerns and can offer the best advice and treatment for you. If you feel anxious at the thought of visiting the dentist, please let us know so we can offer ways to help you feel more relaxed during your visit.
Why are regular check ups important?
Prevention is always better than cure, so it is important for us to have a look at your teeth and gums regularly to spot any potential problems before they are allowed the chance to worsen. Some issues can become worse over time, resulting in more drawn-out and costly treatment to fix further down the line. Your dentist can help prevent this with your regular check ups.
We can also advise on your oral health routine at home, giving plenty of guidance on how to care for your smile properly. Your dentist may also suggest a visit to the hygienist which would be beneficial to help you achieve the best dental health.
What happens at my check up?
- We will examine and assess your teeth and gums, looking for any signs of decay, infection or a misaligned bite.
- We will also carry out an oral cancer check, looking for signs of abnormal tissue in your mouth.
- We will ask if you have experienced any problems since your last examination and discuss any concerns you may have.
- To help keep your teeth in the best condition at home, we will advise on the best cleaning techniques and tips.
- If we find anything that requires further treatment, we will devise a treatment plan, including the best course of action and expected costs.
How often do I need to visit my dentist?
We recommend visiting for a routine check up twice a year, but everyone is different and your dentist will let you know when you will need to return for your next examination.
If you have any problems between your check ups, please get in touch with us to arrange an earlier appointment.